Get help and advice to advance your career
This page has everything you need to navigate important career decisions and overcome obstacles – from choosing a career path, boosting your salary, recovering after being fired or laid-off, handling discrimination, finding a job in a new city, and more.
Recent Grads & Entry Level
Finding your first job after graduating can be intimidating, but it’s doable with the right strategy – even if you have zero internships or experience. Use the resources below to discover how.
- How to get a job with no experience
- The best jobs for recent college grads
- No job after college? 4 ideas to try
- What to do when you can’t find a job in your field
- Best questions to ask at a career fair
- How to find internships for college students
- How to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation
Occupations & Careers
Your industry and choice of career can have a big impact on your career growth, earnings, and job security. The articles below will highlight various career choices and options to help you decide.
- Is Computer Science a good major?
- What it’s like working as a recruiter
- How much money do recruiters make?
- Sales jobs: What to know before starting
- The 3 best industries for the future
- Good careers that don’t require college
- The best online coding bootcamps
- Are coding bootcamps worth it?
- 10 best blue collar jobs that pay well
Unemployed Job Search
Being fired, laid off, or unemployed is challenging, but you CAN find a new job. Use the resources below to get back to work faster.
- How to get a job after being fired
- What to do after being laid off: 7 steps
- The difference between laid off vs fired vs terminated
- How to get a job after long unemployment
- How to explain being fired: 3 examples
- Common feelings after a layoff
- Returning to work after unemployment
- Returning to work after raising children
Relocation & Remote Work
Finding a job in a new city can be tough, and convincing an employer to let you work from home isn’t easy, either. However, with the right steps, both can be done successfully. The articles below will help you succeed.
- How to get interviews when applying for jobs out of state
- 5 tips to get a job in another city or state
- How to find a remote job
- The 18 best fully-remote job boards
- 22 jobs that can be done remotely
Freelance & Self Employed
If you’re looking for more freedom and flexibility (and possibly higher earnings), then entrepreneurship could be the right path for you. The resources below can help.
- Upwork.com freelance proposal samples
- Upwork freelance profile examples
- Upwork review: Is it worth it?
- Self-publishing an ebook on Amazon
- How to learn digital marketing online
- Skillshare.com review: How to learn new skills
- 25 lucrative side hustle ideas
- Is freelancing worth it? pros and cons
- Top freelance careers to start right now
Did you know that you can earn more money in your career simply by asking? Knowing how to negotiate can earn you thousands more and the articles here can help.
- How to ask for a promotion
- How and when to ask for a raise
- How to earn more money in your career
- Higher base salary vs bonus: Which is better?
- Should you accept a counter offer?
- 7 good high income skills to learn
- What to do with extra money and income each month
Job Searching at 50+
Job searching at 50+ can be intimidating, however, it’s still possible to find a great job, and the resources below will help you.
Data & Studies
Research and data to help guide career decisions so you can advance faster, earn more, and be confident in your choices.
- How many interviews for one job?
- How long does it take to find a job?
- How hard is it to get a job at Google?
- Average cost of resume writing
- Average cost of career coaching
More Job Search & Career Advice
If you have a career or job search question that hasn’t been answered elsewhere on our site, then there’s a good chance it’s addressed in one of the articles below.
- Why you can’t find a job: 16 common reasons
- How to explain employment gaps
- How to explain job hopping
- How to address being overqualified
- Are job titles important?
- How to quit a job you just started or before you start
- Good excuses to miss work
- What to do instead of giving up your job search
- 15 follow-up email subject lines
- The 9 best job search books
- How to know if you’re being discriminated against
- 7 laws protecting women’s workplace rights
- Sick day email templates to get the day off
- Should you quit a job without another?